Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sea Salted Caramel Cupcakes

You just made caramel!

This is what the frosting should look like in the end:The first time I used this recipe, I made funfetti cupcakes. The second time, I used vanilla cake. Either one works, but the vanilla allows the frosting to really "shine."

My ghetto fab frosting bags (:

Yummy cupcakes!



INGREDIENTS




  • I cheated and used a box mix for the actual cupcakes, so all you will need for that is an egg or two and some veggie oil. (And it still tasted GREAT!:)


  • 1 stick butter


  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar


  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar


  • 1/2 cup heavy cream


  • sea salt - no specific measurement


TO DO




  • In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the sugar over medium heat until it begins to melt. It should be brown and (slightly) bubbly.


  • After it is melted, pour the cream in a slow, steady stream


  • STIR CONTINUOUSLY (this is SO important!)


  • In another bowl, cream the butter until it is fluffy and smooth


  • Add the powdered sugar into the butter one-half cup at a time until the mixture is smooth (You may not need all four cups. I rarely do:)


  • Add a dab of sea salt - just a pinch - and taste


  • Add the caramel (yes, you just made caramel out of white sugar and cream:) in dollops to the buttery sugar mixture and stir


  • *Spoon the newly made frosting into a Ziploc baggie and cut a very small edge of one of the bottom corners of the baggie


  • Seal the Ziploc and squeeze the frosting towards the corner of the bag, the opening


  • Pipe onto cupcakes


  • Sprinkle a pinch more sea salt onto the top of each cupcake for a little more flavor. It helps balance the sweetness of the caramel (:

Enjoying sweet 'n' salty goodness,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment