Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Begins with Christ

That was the cover of our church's Christmas Eve service bulletins, and a common theme, it seems, of this Christmas. Of course for every Christian, that is what Christmas is about. Christ sending the perfect gift to mankind so we have hope of spending a lifetime with Him. But that principle - what Christmas is really about - seems to often get lost, or at least toned down, even in Christian circles. Instead, Christmas becomes about what material possessions we received, the food we feasted on, or holiday traditions. I'm not saying that's bad by any means - our family certainly has traditions, we enjoy food, and it's fun to give and recieve - but it's also important that we don't forget the true meaning of Christmas.

It seems that this Christmas, more than ever, I have been reminded about the significance of Christ's birth. Silly sounding, I know, but I have failed to see what a huge deal this is and really "make the connection" with all of it until this year.

Isaiah 53 comes to mind a lot. When Christ came to earth, He didn't have to. And yet He did it anyways and we, instead of seeing Him as the gift He is, "esteemed Him stricken by God and afflicted." Little did we know He would be wounded for OUR transgressions, bear OUR sorrows, carry OUR griefs and be killed for OUR sins. Notice all the personal pronouns. Christ became "personal" in birth and throughout His life, so that we could be saved from our sins.
Each Christmas, our family gives gifts that each other needs, as well as wants. In the same way, Christ knew exactly what we needed - a Savior - so He unselfishly and willingly gave Himself to be what we needed, and then He gives us things we want as well to top it off!
What a great, gracious and indescribable Savior.

Even writing this now makes me realize how big and great of a God we serve and how small and sinful I am. I am overwhelmed by His love. "Why me?" is a question that keeps coming to mind, and I am amazed, truly amazed, as I see how His perfect plan for salvation - one that is giving and unselfish - came together in the birth of a perfect baby boy.
Wow. Thank you God. I am overwhelmed by Your love and mercy. You knew what I needed and You made it available to me. You really are the reason for the season.

Hoping you too, are reminded of the true meaning of Christmas and that it all begins with Christ. Have a very merry Christmas basking in the Savior's love for us, and all the blessings that come with knowing Him, the One who Saves.


Overwhelmed by Christ at Christmas,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment