Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rainy Days Are the Perfect Time to...



Turn on the oven.
Set out the cake mix, sprinkles, frosting and chocolate.
Try a new recipe.
Bake.



Dark on white.


Crazy about sprinkles.


Variety.






I had my first cake pop a couple weeks into my job at Target. There is a Starbucks Coffee located inside our store and at the end of each night, they give away any leftover food they have that can't be kept/doesn't sell that day. One night, there were several rocky road cake pops left over so I indulged in this new fad. I however, was determined not to become part of the crowd and stuck to my cupcakes and cake more than ever.




Then, I tried the "Birthday Cake" cake pop at Starbucks one day because it just looked so pretty. White cake enclosed by a light pink frosting shell and topped with white little sprinkles...It got to me. So I ate and fell in love.

Then, a couple days into my second job at school, one of my coworkers brought in a cake platter full of cake balls for the taking. They were delish! And I took it as a sign that I needed to invest my tastebuds into this new foodie trend that seems to be sweeping the nation.

Being off work today and on Spring Break allowed me the opportunity to try a new recipe and with another birthday coming up in the Admissions office, I had a perfect reason to bake.

The recipe is incredibly long to type, so I won't type it. Instead, I'll give you a link: http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/paulas-cake-balls


Great job Paula Deen!




Here's a couple things you should know before you embark on this recipe though:




1. It will take a lot of time. No, seriously. A lot of time.




There is one point where you have to freeze the cake for at least 3 hours before you form it into balls and then you blend the cake with frosting and freeze for another hour. It also takes time to heat the chocolate and keep it perfectly fluid and dippable.




2. There are other kinds of flavors out there. I used French Vanilla cake mix and traditional white and milk/dark/semi-dark (don't know which one:) chocolate. But on the recipe, Paula suggests other flavorful combinations. Can't wait to give them a try!






My dad is a big fan of German Chocolate cake so I'm thinking about trying to use a chocolate cake mix, blend it with coconut pecan frosting and coat the cake balls in a semi-sweet/bittersweet/dark chocolate to make German Chocolate cake balls. We'll see :)




Anywhoo, I'm enjoying just looking at these babies!




Enjoy,
Em


P.S. Make sure and buy a lot of chocolate. One box of cake mix makes about 40 cake balls. I went through three containers of confectioners chocolate and two trips to the store in the rain because I ran out. Save yourself the time and trouble and stock up before you make the cake (:




No comments:

Post a Comment