Sunday, July 22, 2012

The {Ultimate} Update

It has been FOR EVER since my last post and I cannot believe how much has happened since then! Between working two jobs, Vacation Bible School, planning a baby shower for two, and family vacations, my summer has flown by and I cannot believe there's only four weeks of it left :( Let's take it from the top, shall we?
God, in His kindness, saw fit for me to make the Dean's List (similar to the Honor Roll in high school) after my first year in college and now I am only about two years away from being a college graduate! Craziness! While life has been crazy, there have also been down moments. I have spent time trying new recipes and cooking more, working another job - so now I am working two jobs all-year, and driving.


A couple weeks after I got out of school, my sister flew out to Yellowstone National Park where she got a job with a Christian organization as a hostess in one of the restaurants inside the park. She has thoroughly enjoyed all the wildlife, hiking trips and boat rides she's gotten to go on since she has been there and I know it will be a trick to pry her away from the wilderness she loves :)

Immediately after she flew out my parents and I went to my favorite place ever (a.k.a. Yosemite National Park) and spent the weekend there celebrating God's glorious creation. I love to bike ride so I rode all over the valley and stopped at an adorable museum that is all about the natives of Yosemite, as well as historic hotels (ahem...the Ahwahnee anyone?), and a charming art gallery named after the infamous Ansel Adams himself.

Life slowed down a little bit after that. My favorite (probably because they're my only;) cousins came into town and we spent time with them going to a great restaurant in Studio City that I love called Micelli's. If you haven't been, go! It's a great, festive place - think a little higher end side of Buca di Beppo - and would make a great place for a date! The waiters/waitresses come and sing to you and they do fun things for birthdays, too!
Next up was Father's Day. I surprised my dad with three tickets to an Angels game, since none of us had ever been to one, and we had amazing seats for very cheap! Who knew you could ever say those two thoughts in one sentence! :)

After Father's Day, it was my mother's birthday and one of the biggest highlights of my year: RESOLVED. I was super bummed to learn that it was the final one but the theme for this year (the Church) could not have been more timely. I was greatly encouraged and I long to go to Heaven as soon as possible. Those of us who are truly saved will finally be able to praise Him for what He has done without any sin, any distractions, any hinderances, and give Him what He is due the way He ought to be treated. O how I long for that day!

Next up after the RESOLVED conference was my church's Vacation Bible School. I was in charge of decorating the church to match this year's theme which was Gold Rush. I was also teaching a group of 4th-6th graders and directed and produced the play for the week. A lot of work but so much fun! The set for the play in particular was a real-life example of what it means in Ephesians 3:20 when it says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine..." I knew what resources were available to build the set and so, in my mind, we would get really creative with cardboard and tape and keep our fingers crossed each day during the play hoping that the set wouldn't fall down :) God in His kindness provided amazing materials and a group of people from the church that put lots of time and effort into building an actual set! It looked amazing when it was all completed and I was so humbled by God's goodness to me.

After VBS came my birthday and a second trip to Yosemite :) I went on another several-mile-bike-ride and took a hike by myself to Mirror Lake. The valley is gorgeous all the time (in my humble opinion, anyways:) and even though there wasn't a whole lot of water left in the falls and in the lake, it was still gorgeous to see the mountains reflecting back on themselves in the water. As I rode through a meadow that was still luscious and green, I thought to myself, how good of God to allow His creatures to experience such emotions and feelings that beauty brings. He could have left us in a barren, deserted, dry world with nothing gorgeous to look at but instead He cared about us enough to give us diversity! Whether it's in the red rock walls of the Grand Canyon or the leafy, neck-high stalks of green grass, He gave us so much to enjoy and creation truly does attest to a Great Creator. How can someone look at so much beauty in the world and not think God exists?! I don't understand it. But I am thankful that God gave me eyes to see Him in all of His handiwork and I love every inch of it.

We pulled back into our hometown and the next night was a baseball game with the Dodgers playing the Phillies. The Master's College has awesome alumni events so we got to meet up with tons of other TMC graduates and enjoy hot dogs, peanuts and a great game of baseball together!

The next night we spent time as a family together and celebrated my birthday by going to the Americana in Glendale and doing some shopping at my favorite stores like Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters and Tiffany & Co., where my parents graciously bought me a beautiful bracelet for my birthday. We then topped the night of with my favorite foods of pasta and cheesecake! Oh how I love the Cheesecake Factory... :)

Anyways, if you've read this far, congratulations! You survived! And now you know the happenings over here in my corner, too :) Hope you are enjoying your July!
EnJOY,
Em
 
 Grilled avocado::place face down straight on the rack for 5 minutes. It gives the avocado a much nuttier, meatier taste that I love!
                                                          My first time ever grilling something!
So I've been experimenting with apples, and I came across an apple chips recipe. Simply core and slice an apple horizontally, sprinkle with cinnamn and set on a tray that is lightly misted with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about a half hour and voila! Healthy, crunchy and sweet apple chips!


Another fun thing to do with apples is to make baked apples or baked apple bowls. You can fill the apple with anything you like, after it's done baking. I like to fill mine with oatmeal, but I've seen recipes where people fill them with ice cream and fudge.
Take an apple and cut it in half horizontally. Core both halves and put a touch of butter in both pits you have just now dug. Then put a whopping spoon full (or two) of cooked oatmeal in each half. Cook the oatmeal like you would regularly. I use the instant oats because I like to get things going when I cook :) Sprinkle a touch of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg if you have it on the top of each half and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for an hour or two. Your house will thank you because it will smell delightful, and your stomach will be full of a health dessert. Who knew those two words could ever coincide with each other?!?! ;)

Another eat I made includes blackened chicken with cilantro & lime seasoned quinoa, and asparagus cooked in a blend of rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and onions! Healthy and delish!
Whenever I'm in the mood for pizza, I can't help but think of all the times I've gone to a pizza joint and eaten a piece of dough covered in grease. My appetite imeediately decreases after I think of how clogged my arteries probably are. So, I make my own! Using a whole wheat pizza crust, simple pizza sauce, fat free mozarella cheese and turkey pepperoni, I have a pizza within 10 minutes that's hot, bubbly and minimal on grease :) My arteries thank me.
Another recipe that I found was for stuffed chicken - a healthy twist! Using whole wheat "breadcrumbs" (whole wheat croutons, crushed), chicken breast, an egg, fat free cheddar cheese and fresh, steamed broccoli, I have a DELICIOUS stuffed chicken breast in half an hour! The fun thing about this dish is that you can change up what you stick the chicken breast with, too. I made this same dish only I stuffed fat-free mozarella cheese in it, along with diced tomatoes that had been sauteed in basil, parsley and garlic. It was basically a fat-free chicken parmigiana :)



I threw a party at one of my jobs for the Fourth of July and every attendee was asked to bring a patriotic dish, drink or dessert to share. Raspberries and blueberries are some of my favorite fruits and they happened to be on sale so...I just threw some together in a cup and topped them with coolwhip! Super easy, cheap and healthy. It also makes a great party food because it's very non-messy and people can just grab it and go!
I got home early one day from one of my jobs so I opened a can of Clam Chowder soup and heated it on my stove. While it was warming up, I pulled out my organic, whole wheat bread bowl from Trader Joe's (love that place...:) and toasted it in my mini toaster oven. I pulled out the bowl after about 10-15 minutes in the oven and poured the hot soup in it. Delicious! And semi-healthy!
This is a picture of one of the twists I put on my stuffed chicken recipe :)
One of our trips to Yosemite this summer. I love how the first thing you see after driving throught the mile long tunnel is...this. El Capitan on the left, Half Dome in the middle and a smidge to the right, and Bridalveil Falls to the right! What a stunning testimony to the Creator!

The animals will come right by your car to graze and aren't startled while you do your business! Love it!
Half Dome at sunset :)
Who doesn't love a good s'more when camping?! Especially when the marshmallows are JUMBO size :)
The dining room at the Ahwahnee hotel. Absolutely breath-taking.
I love to go on bike rides when I visit Yosemite. It's a much better way to see the valley because you can stop and go for a hike whenever you want, without having to worry about where you can park, etc. There's one spot in particular where I love to just stop and take it all in. I can see Half Dome, Glacier Point, and there's almost always deer just peacefully grazing right by me. Pictures cannot do the place justice.
A favorite "hotspot" of ours when we visit the Valley.
I love the warm, ethereal glow of Yosemite Lodge tucked behind the trees in front of Yosemite Falls. It's such a cozy, cute, natural place. Love it!
The Ahwahnee hotel - just a snippet.
I discovered this gallery (along with a museum) a couple trips ago down in the Valley. I am a fan of Ansel Adams work and this gallery pays him tribute, with postcards, his pictures, books on his life, etc. It doesn't hurt that it's super cute, too!
Last time I rode my bike, I stopped off and hiked to Mirror Lake in the Valley. It was more like a pond than a lake but it was still gorgeous because of the way the valley is so clearly reflected off the water!
I found this neato stairway carved into the mountain by Mirror Lake :)
The speakers from the RESOLVED conference! From left: Jonathan Rourke, Steve Lawson, Dr. Al Mohler, Dr. John MacArthur, Dr. Rick Holland, C.J. Mahaney, and Austin Duncan. So encouraged by their timely messages!
My best friend K.C. flew out from Florida to go to the conference and we did everything together! It was such a treat to see her after over a year of seperation :(

We stumbled upon this pizza place that makes all their pizzas with a sourdough crust! We feasted on pizza at least three times during the course of the conference. So good!

My cousins came to visit and we ate at Miceli's for fun!


We took the train to the Angels game and had so much fun!
Our awesome seats!
My Father's Day project: colored cardstock, wooden clothespins and twine. Super simple and cute!

Dodgers vs. Phillies game! Gooooo Dodgers! And Matt Kemp :)
My at-home birthday celebration from my family, complete with an ice-cream cake and a birthday present from my sister who is a couple hundred miles away!
My parent's bought me a stunningly beautiful bracelet from Tiffany & Co. that I absolutely love!

My delicious birthday dinner from the Cheesecake Factory :)

Chocolate Chip cookie dough cheesecake. Two of my favorite things in one! (Also, my favorite banana cheesecake not pictured:).


The bracelet!
I got a new pair of TOMS!!!
I made a smoothie in my new blender and used it in my new Anthropologie cup! Love that store... :)
Funny sayings from my boss at work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment